It may come as no surprise, but a recent study has validated that the male-dominated field of architecture is rife with sexual harassment. The survey, which was conducted by Architectural Record and Engineering News-Record (ENR), sought to discover the impact of sexual harassment on those working in the areas of architecture, design, construction, and engineering. More than 1,200 architects were interviewed about their experiences with inappropriate workplace behavior, with women comprising more than two-thirds of the respondents.
The survey found that:
- Over two-thirds of respondents have experienced sexual harassment
- Of the women, 85 percent reported having been harassed at some point on the job
- About 65 percent said harassment included inappropriate personal requests, jokes, and questions
- About 30 percent experienced inappropriate physical contact or assault
- Approximately 65 percent reported the harassment to a manager, colleague, or human resources employee
- About 25 percent never reported or spoke publicly about the incident
- Less than one percent of victims filed a claim or a lawsuit
- Sexual harassment at work was witnessed by 75 percent of architects firsthand, or heard about it through a co-worker
Despite the overwhelming incidents and experiences noted above, very little has been done in the field to combat sexual harassment. Many times, reports of incidents were not taken seriously. Among those surveyed, many believe that those in leadership in architecture are not listening to their fears and concerns. In fact, the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has only recently enacted a new Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct policy.
You should never have to deal with sexual harassment at work. If you have suffered inappropriate behavior on the job in any field or work role, we will advocate for your rights. Please call the Philadelphia sexual harassment lawyers at Sidney L. Gold & Associates, P.C. at 215-569-1999, or contact us online for a free evaluation of your case. Located in Philadelphia, we proudly serve clients from the surrounding areas, including Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, and Montgomery County.