Philadelphia Pregnancy Discrimination Lawyers
The law prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions in various terms and conditions of employment. Pregnancy discrimination protects pregnant employees from employment discrimination, and is considered to be a form of sex discrimination.
Pregnancy is considered a temporary disability under the law. Employers must give pregnant employees the same treatment and benefits they give to employees with temporary disabilities. This policy should be clearly stated. For example, employers must hold open a job for a pregnancy-related absence the same length of time jobs are held open for employees on sick or disability leave. Severe morning sickness, doctor-ordered bed rest, childbirth, recovery from childbirth, and other related medical conditions all fall under this law.
Pregnancy discrimination may occur in a number of situations, including but not limited to the following:
- You are a well-qualified candidate for a position but a company refuses to hire you because you are pregnant, or they tell you to come back when you are ready to work after you have your child.
- Your employer fired or demoted you, or took away all your responsibilities, immediately after learning that you are pregnant, although you are still able to work for several more months.
- You returned from pregnancy-related leave and your employer refused to give you the same or a similar position you held before your leave and there was no business condition preventing your position still being available.
- You are pregnant and your employer treats you differently than other temporarily disabled employees.
- You need to miss work to visit your doctor for prenatal care. You are disciplined for taking time off, even though other workers who miss work for ongoing medical treatment are not disciplined.
Some other examples of discrimination in the workplace are:
- Age Discrimination
- Disability Discrimination
- Gender Discrimination
- National Origin Discrimination
- Race Discrimination
- Religious Discrimination
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination
- Transgender Discrimination
Contact a Pennsylvania Discrimination Lawyer at the Philadelphia Employment Law Firm of Sidney L. Gold & Associates
Call the NJ employment attorneys at Sidney L. Gold & Associates, P.C., today at 215-569-1999 for a free assessment of your pregnancy discrimination claim or contact us online. We are conveniently located in Center City Philadelphia and represent victims of workplace discrimination throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.