Philadelphia National Origin Discrimination Attorneys
National origin discrimination occurs when an employer discriminates because of the country the employee or his or her ancestors came from. Similar to race discrimination, national origin discrimination arises from stereotyped perceptions. Although race discrimination and national origin discrimination can often appear together, it is entirely possible that in cases of national origin discrimination, the employer and the employee belong to the same racial group.
The law prohibits discrimination or harassment against an employee or job applicant based on national origin, or on anything related to his or her national origin. It is illegal to treat an employee less favorably because of his or her ancestry, birthplace, culture, native language, linguistic characteristic, or family name commonly associated with a particular nationality.
Employers may not take adverse employment actions against you because:
- You come from a particular country
- You belong to a certain ethnicity
- You have an accent that does not affect your ability to perform the job
- Your employer believes you come from a particular national, or ethnic background
- Your surname is generally associated with a particular national or ethnic group
- You are a member or associated with a particular ethnic or cultural organization
- You are married or associated with people of certain national or ethnic background
- You attend or participate in schools, churches, temples, synagogues, or mosques generally associated with a national or ethnic group
If you have been denied a position, terminated from employment, or otherwise harmed in your employment because of your birthplace, ancestry, culture, surname or way of speaking that is common to your nationality, you may have suffered unlawful national origin discrimination and it would be in your best interest to seek legal guidance from an experienced Philadelphia discrimination lawyer.
The law also prohibits harassment, based on your national origin, that creates a hostile or offensive work environment, and that interferes with your work performance. Harassing conduct might include jokes about a particular ethnic group, comments or questions about a person’s cultural habits.
The law applies in all phases of the employment process, including but not limited to hiring, termination, promotion, compensation, job evaluations, job training, or any other term, condition, or privilege of employment.
- Age Discrimination
- Gender Discrimination
- Race Discrimination
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Religious Discrimination
- Disability Discrimination
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination
Sidney L. Gold & Associates: Pennsylvania and New Jersey Employee Rights Attorneys
If you believe you’ve been the victim of national origin discrimination at work, or any other type of employment discrimination, call the Philadelphia national origin discrimination lawyers of Sidney L. Gold & Associates, P.C., today at 215-569-1999 for a free assessment of your national origin discrimination claim or contact us online.
Our employment law firm is located in Center City Philadelphia and easily accessible to clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.